The Alexander Technique is well known for improving posture as well as for relieving back and neck pain. What is not so well known is the wide-ranging practical help it offers. This blog focusses on how it can help combat loss of independence and loneliness.
Some of the things we can work on in Alexander Technique lessons to help combat loneliness are:
- Walking with more confidence – so that it is easier for you to get out and meet other people
- Getting in and out of cars more comfortably – so that you can visit more people and places
- Using mobile devices such as phones and iPads without straining your neck – so that you keep in contact with family and friends
- As I mentioned above, the Alexander Technique is well known for improving posture and this often leads to an overall increase in confidence – a great benefit for anyone who could use a boost of confidence in social situations
Combating Loss of Independence
Some of the things we can work on in Alexander Technique lessons to help combat loss of independence are:
- Moving more comfortably and more confidently so that you can:
- Reach to get things out of cupboards or the washing machine for example
- Dust, use a hoover and mop floors
- Cook and make drinks
- Manage stairs
- Get in and out of chairs and your bed
- Walking with more confidence and getting in and out of a car more comfortably so that you can get to the shops
Learning the Alexander Technique is Fun and a Little Challenging
The Alexander Technique focusses on teaching skills to use in everyday life. It is not only useful, as described above, but also fascinating to explore, fun to learn and a little mentally, rather than physically, challenging.
If this post has sparked your curiosity and you are interested in finding out how the Alexander Technique can help you please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or call me on 07957 981240 get in touch using the contact icons
You may also like to sign up for blog updates which simply means you will receive an email letting you know when there is a new post.